Common Mistakes Injured Workers Make Before Filing for Workers’ Compensation Benefits

About the author

Robert Golan

Hiring a lawyer can help save you time and money when filing for Workers’ Compensation. Many people believe it is a simple thing to file the paperwork and wait for the money. Rarely does it work that way. In fact, more effort is required for filing claims than most people realize.

Tips on Filing Your Suffolk County Workers’ Compensation Claim

The first step you need to take is to hire an experienced lawyer. Never hire someone who just got out of law school because they have not earned their stripes yet and may not be familiar with handling cases such as yours. Avoid giving them a call until they have the experience.

Once you do find an experienced lawyer, he or she can explain the ins and outs of the process and your case to help you to get the settlement you deserve.

Our Suffolk County Work Injury Lawyer Shares Common Mistakes

There are some common mistakes that people make when filing the papers. Below are things you should avoid doing that will assist in saving you a lot of pain and suffering later.

1) Keeping silent on the job. You have 90 days to report an injury, whether it is repeated trauma or a first-time event. Not reporting the incident will disqualify you completely. Always report it, whether you like your boss or not.

2) Keeping silent because you believe you do not have a claim. If you are hurt, you have the right and obligation to say something. Never keep silent. You will not know how much your settlement is worth unless you speak up.

3) Not saying anything because you hope your insurance will take care of it. This is a bad move. Insurance companies are not in business to serve you; they are only looking out for themselves. Do yourself a favor and report the injury, no matter what.

For more information on this and other legal counsel, talk to an attorney today.

Contact Our Suffolk County Workers’ Compensation Attorney for a Consultation

Robert Golan, PC offers a complimentary evaluation to discuss your case. Contact Robert Golan, PC at 516-586-3910 to schedule a consultation.

Share This