Robert Golan, PC serves as an injury attorney on Long Island in Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Queens, providing comprehensive legal representation to injured workers in workers compensation cases.

Mr. Golan has put together a list of frequently asked questions with answers for you from his experience from handling workers compensation cases since 1997.

If you still have questions, please contact Mr. Golan at 516 586-3910 to receive personalized attention and discuss your case.

Where is your office located and what are your business hours?

We are open Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and are located at 200 Willis Avenue Mineola, NY 11501.

Robert Golan, PC represents injured workers in their workers compensation cases on Long Island in Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Queens.

Will I be able to speak to an attorney when I schedule an appointment?

Yes, Mr. Golan will personally handle your workers compensation case from start to finish. With more than 15 years of experience, Mr. Golan will guide you through the entire process.

Do you offer free consultations?

Yes, and we are dedicated to providing you with excellent personal service. Please contact us at 516-586-3910 to discuss your Long Island Workers Compensation case.

Do you handle cases on a contingency fee basis?

Yes, all Long Island Workers’ Compensation lawyers receive compensation only if we are successful in obtaining monetary compensation for you. Workers’ compensation lawyer fees come from the amount awarded to you

What is my case worth?

Each case we handle is unique. It is difficult to estimate how much a case is worth right away. We research and review many factors about your workers compensation case before knowing how much it is worth. It can depend on what parts of your body were injured, your salary at work and whether the injuries are permanent or temporary. Robert Golan handles each case personally and is dedicated to getting you the best results possible.

Robert Golan won the 2011 Award for the “Fiercest Attorney of the Year” specifically for his work on two Long Island cases during that year which helped his clients get the workers compensation benefits they were entitled to, and which made important changes in the law.

Who will answer my routine questions?

Since 1997, Robert Golan has personally handled all of his Long Island Workers’ Compensation cases. Using a personalized touch, Mr. Golan is available to answer all client questions by phone. He is committed to responding to client inquiries promptly and thoroughly.

What must I do if I am injured at work?

If you are injured, immediately notify your supervisor or a member of management, seek medical treatment and contact us.

Do I have to file a formal application for workers compensation benefits?

Yes, you should file a claim for workers compensation benefits within two years from the date of the accident. You may contact Robert Golan, PC or your employer for a claim form.

What am I entitled to from a workers compensation case?

You are entitled to medical treatment, reimbursement for sick time used and for lost wages, and for other expenses incurred with your injuries. You may also be entitled to a lump sum of tax-free money to compensate you for permanent damage to a part of your body.

Do I have to pay my doctor for his services?

No, you do not have to pay your doctor directly. Your employer’s insurance company or your employer will make the payments.

Do I need to be represented by an attorney?

New York law doesn’t require that you retain an attorney for your workers compensation case, however, most employers and insurance companies have representation throughout the case, which puts you at a disadvantage if you are not represented too. Workers compensation laws are complex and it is advisable to have representation for your case.

In addition to benefits for lost wages from workers compensation, am I entitled to other benefits?

You may receive benefits in addition to workers compensation. These include:

  • No-fault insurance benefits if you were in an accident involving a motor vehicle.
  • Social Security Disability
  • Long-terms disability benefits if you or your employer had this type of coverage.
  • Disability Pension if available.
If I am receiving Workers Compensation benefits, am I eligible for Social Security Disability payments?

The requirements for obtaining Social Security Disability are somewhat different than those related to Workers Compensation, but if you do qualify, you can receive both benefits at the same time.

What can I do if I’m not satisfied with the Judge’s decision?

We can file an appeal from the Judge’s decision to the appellate division of the Workers Compensation Board. We have been very successful in obtaining reversals and modifications of Judge’s decisions on appeal.

What can I do if I’m not satisfied with the Board’s decision after the appeal?

We can go outside of the Workers Compensation system and appeal to the Court, to the Appellate Division, 3rd Department.

How do I get started?

Call us at 516-586-3910 to discuss your case. Robert Golan, PC serves as a Long Island work injury lawyer in Queens, Suffolk County, and Nassau County in New York.

Additional FAQ Content for Workers Compensation

Long Island Workers’ Compensation is a confusing topic, which is why it can be comforting to have a lawyer working with you through the process. For some preliminary understanding of the situation, however, we offer you some guidance through a complimentary discussion of your case.

What is New York State Workers’ Compensation?

If a worker gets injured on the job, or has a medical condition caused by a job’s activities, he or she can apply for this compensation to receive income replacement and medical cost payments.

Who should make a claim?

Anyone who is injured or disabled on the job on Long Island and in the surrounding areas should make a claim. Almost all companies provide workers compensation. There is no guarantee that workers will receive compensation from their employer for medical bills or an inability to work (whether temporarily or permanently). If you file a claim with a Long Island workers compensation attorney, you may receive money for these serious expenses.

How do I file a workers compensation claim? Do I need to tell my employer? When should I do that?

First, tell your employer about your injury on the job, preferably in writing, and no more from 30 days from the accident (you can tell your employer verbally, but for the strength of your legal argument, it’s best to put everything in writing that you can and to save records of your correspondence). It’s ideal for you to do it as soon as possible, which makes it more likely that the employer will accept the claim.

Can my employer or the insurance companies ask me to take a medical exam to prove that I have an occupational injury or disease?

Your employer or its insurance company has the right to ask for a physical examination to test your claim by a licensed doctor. You can refuse, but it will hurt your case. Injured workers should get an examination from a doctor regardless, because the paperwork will help the claim.

Where should I file the claim? Should I hire a lawyer to handle the process?

The claim should be filed with the Workers Compensation Board. It’s not necessary to hire a Long Island work injury lawyer to handle this process, but it’s a good idea — workers compensation cases are often arduous affairs. Otherwise, you may be in the difficult and risky position of arguing against skilled attorneys protecting the interests of your employer.

My physician has asked for a procedure that I’m still waiting for authorization for. What should I do?

Is your doctor requesting treatment for your knee, shoulder, neck, or back? If so, the doctor needs to look at the 2010 Medical Treatment Guidelines to see if the procedure is considered authorized without approval. Otherwise, the doctor needs to obtain authorization.

Is your doctor seeking to treat a different part of your body? If the treatment costs less than $1,000, there’s no need to seek approval; if it costs more, they need to send a request to the carrier, which must respond in 30 days.

The forms need to be accurate, complete, and sent to the carrier, the Workers’ Compensation Board, and your Queens workers compensation attorney.

What if I still receive medical bills? Is that legal?

This shouldn’t happen. If you are represented by a Long Island Workers’ Compensation Attorney  and get a medical bill, we’ll send a letter back to the billers and the carrier. It’s illegal for the healthcare provider to bill you. However, it’s important to know that the carrier won’t cover bills for unrelated issues or injuries that haven’t been covered in the case. It needs to be established one way or the other in the claim. In any case, remember to give your healthcare provider your carrier’s information to begin with; in many cases the billing problem happens simply because the hospital or doctor doesn’t know your carrier’s contact information.

What is an occupational disease, and when can it entitle me to compensation?

It’s a disease caused by something you were exposed to at your job — for instance, mesothelioma caused by asbestos, black lung in coal miners, and lead poisoning in people exposed to lead or lead compounds (for instance, painters).

What are some injuries that people have received compensation for?

Falls are the most common by far, but slip and fall accidents, automobile accidents, falling objects, and machinery accidents are also prevalent.

Is it possible for my injury to be covered even if I was the one responsible for the accident?

Yes, it is possible — as long as the injury was not intentional and you weren’t under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

What if my family member died on the job? Am I entitled to any compensation?

Perhaps. Families may receive benefits for funeral costs and lost earnings. Many times, this compensation can make an enormous difference in the life of the family thereafter.

New York’s Workers’ Compensation is a confusing topic, which is why it can be comforting to have a lawyer working with you through the process. For some preliminary understanding of the situation, however, we offer you some guidance, below.