How to Receive Worker’s Compensation After an Injury in the Workplace

About the author

Robert Golan

If you become injured on the job you may be entitled to cash benefits or medical care through Workers’ Compensation insurance.

As an employee, you are not required to contribute to the cost of the Workers’ Compensation insurance. Employers pay for the premiums through a private insurer, however the claims are processed through a state agency called the Workers’ Compensation Board. If there is any dispute between the employee and employer as to the nature of the injuries, it will be decided by the Workers’ Compensation Board.

How Workers’ Compensation Differs from Insurance Programs

Unlike other insurance programs where the claimant might be awarded less or more compensation based on their role they played in the injury, Workers’ Compensation does not place blame on the employee or employer. There are a few exclusions to this, which include the employee being found to be on drugs, being intoxicated, or there was intent to injure themselves or another party.

When An Employee Needs to File a Claim

An employee should file a claim anytime a work related accident takes place. In general, in order for an injury to fall under the Workers’ Compensation program, it not only has to occur in the workplace, it also has to be the result of the employee performing the work. If it is ever unclear an accident is considered work related, the Workers’ Compensation Board will make the decision.

How to Qualify for Workers’ Compensation

In order to qualify for Workers’ Compensation, you need to file the claim with your employer within 30 days of the accident. While the Workers Compensation Board does have the authority to waive this time limit, it is best to file within 30 days. The time limit to file with the actual Workers’ Compensation board is two years and should be done using the form C-3.

In addition to covering injuries as a result of an accident, Workers’ Compensation can also cover injuries that develop over time that are referred to as occupational injuries. In order to qualify for compensation, you will need your doctor to confirm that he or she believes the injury is related to your work.

Share This